Friday, January 8, 2010

Actual Death Experience in Chattanooga

Unlike my earlier near-death experience, I went all the way this time. I was doing more training flights with the Mooney, which I've decided I hate, and attempted to fly up to Chattanooga and land.

The weather wasn't bad, but the Mooney was bucking like a bronco, just pointing it's nose left-right, up-down, all over the place - just very hard to control. That's bad enough when you're trying to maintain level flight, but really a problem when you try to land.

I came in a little shallow but tried to make it over the buildings and houses short of the runway and failed. The Bravo was just misbehaving too badly for me to compensate given my experience level and I clipped a building just short of the runway - game over!

Unfortunately, I wasn't running the video recorder, and after a crash it kicks out and doesn't give you a chance to use replay, so there's not even a photo to commemorate my demise.

I think I'll switch back to the Skylane, or at least, my zombie will. It's not as fast but it flies like a comfortable old pair of shoes. (If shoes could fly, I mean).

1 comment: