Monday, January 11, 2010

New Orleans Flyover

Not much time for flying tonight but I decided to cross Lake Pontchartrain and check out New Orleans, then land at Louis Armstrong International Airport. I loaded up back in Slidel where I found it overcast and raining. From the ground it didn't look too bad, but once airborne it was obvious that visibility was going to be an issue. Here I am along the northern coast of the lake unable to see much of anything:
I flew west along the coast until I found the causeway that bisects the lake running north to south. At almost 24 miles, Lake Pontchartrain Causeway is the longest bridge over water anywhere in the world. There's a bridge in Bangkok that's longer, about 33 miles, but is mostly just an elevated roadway, with only part of its span being over water. Here I am following the causeway south across the lake. The weather seems to be clearing up a bit:

Once across the lake the skies turned blue with just a few clouds, so I climbed a little higher and turned back east towards the city. Here I am approaching downtown with the Super Dome at the right edge of the picture and the Mississippi river in the background:
Just past down-town I banked towards the north to check out the French Quarter. Just below me, the bullseye shaped park is Jackson Square, also known as Place de'Armes. You can find it and get more info in Google Earth at 29 57'26.89"N, 90 03'46.61"W:
After flying around a bit more and checking out the sights I turned back west towards the airport. I've been through New Orleans before in real life, but never really visited, so I wasn't really sure what to look for other than just anything interesting visible from the air.

The tower at Louis Armstrong International gave me clearance for a straight in approach so no landing pattern to fly. Had a little trouble staying lined up on the runway but otherwise a good landing. I'll use this as my starting point for my next flight, probably down to the Mississippi River delta and out over the gulf looking for oil rigs and such, then Maybe up to Baton Rouge before leaving MegaScenery Louisiana behind and heading to Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment