Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Jekyll to Titusville - Part II

As I gradually descended through the clouds without any sign that they were breaking up, I began to get nervous - especially when I dropped below 2,000 feet and still couldn't see a thing. Finally, at about 1,700 feet I broke clear of the clouds and found myself just north of Daytona Beach in MegaScenery heaven! Here's the view out the right/starboard side of the plane at actual photo-real terrain and houses, not the generic farmland I had left behind in Georgia:

Continuing south towards Daytona, I noticed an odd shadow on the ocean ahead. As I got closer, it resolved into a black triangle. I've heard of the Bermuda triangle, but didn't know Daytona had one as well. It didn't look that big or threatening, but I was careful not to fly over it just in case.
About then the clouds began to rise a bit so I climbed back up to about 3,500 feet for safety. Then it started to rain. Not bad, but enough to be distracting. It's hard to even see it in the still images, but this external view shows the streaks of rain maybe better than the cockpit view:
A bit further south, I finally picked up the Melbourne VOR station, which like Brunswick, appears to have a range of about 60 nautical miles. Once I had the signal, I locked in the appropriate radial and turned south-west, heading inland to intercept. I got lined up on the signal about 50 miles out, or about 20 miles from my destination.

About 10 miles from where I expected to find the airport, I spotted it dead ahead and began my approach. Being fairly tired at this point, and not having a clue yet how to use the communication features in FSX to request clearance to land, I just did a direct approach to the nearest runway. It had stopped raining by then, and the wind didn't seem too bad, but as I got closer I noticed the airport looked funny:

One problem with add-on scenery, like MegaScenery Earth, is that it doesn't always line up correctly with the default features of FSX, like the runways. The runway I'm lined up on is the FSX runway graphic, while the lighter runway angling away to the right is the photo-real aerial image of the runway that comes from MegaScenery Earth. I suppose for the larger airports, they check and try to avoid this kind of conflict.

Anyway, I proceeded in and made an acceptable landing, although it seemed more difficult than it should have. As I coasted down the runway, I glanced to my left and saw the wind-sock pointing in the same direction I was headed, meaning I had just landed with the wind instead of against it. That means my ground speed was a good bit higher than if I had landed in the other direction which explains why the landing didn't feel right.

I think I'll spend some time here in Titusville practicing landings and learning how to communicate with air traffic control, request clearances to take-off and land, etc., before I begin the net leg of my southward journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment