Thursday, November 5, 2009

Add-on Planes for FSX

Not that I need them, but I figured out how to add airplanes from third-party developers to FSX. I had read about some really good free-ware planes from Dino Cattaneo (see indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com). I got on his blog and downloaded the T-45 Goshawk jet trainer and the F-14 Tomcat, neither of which I plan to fly any time soon. He's also working on an F-35 Lightning II, but that was not ready yet.

At some point, when my flight training has progressed a lot further, I'll try flying military planes including jets. The T-45 would probably be a good one to train on, and is actually equipped for carrier landings. Here's what it looks like (with gear and tailhook down):

I had some initial difficulty getting FSX to recognize them, but finally got it to work. It seems odd that Microsoft, knowing what a large third-party developer network exists for FSX, did not see fit to have some kind of import utility for add-on planes. It's really up to the developer to either have a zip file and tell you where to dump the files or to take the time to actually create a setup.exe file to do it all for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment