Monday, September 5, 2011

Rainy Day Flight to Huntsville

Very rainy day in Dalton, so after a couple of short flights around town I decided to trade up to the beefier Skylane and head over to Huntsville to visit my sister. I took off in the rain, but was quickly above it. Not much to look at during the flight, just cloud-tops, but I'm relearning VOR navigation and I also figured out how to use the GPS.

Some newer planes have GPS built into the panel, but the ones I fly, if they have it at all, it's more like the GPS you buy for your car with the suction cup that attaches it to the windshield. I haven't figured out any advanced features, but I was able to turn it on, zoom in and out, and use it to figure out where I was in relation to the airport I was heading towards.

As a backup, I had also tuned in a VOR about 5 miles from the airport, and was using that as a rough guide and for range. Between the two, I was able to fly straight to the airport, even with no view of the ground from altitude, and only limited visibility once I got down closer to the ground.

It was not actually raining where I landed, and the landing went smoothly. I taxied in to the fueling area and noticed something odd:
See the windsock back there opposite my plane? Seems like in between two buildings is not a great place to put that. Should be closer to the runway, where it might actually prove useful.

Anyway, I may do some more flights around Huntsville and experiment with the GPS more. Still raining here in Dalton, so not much else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment