Wednesday, December 23, 2009

MegaScenery Disney

Time is running out if I'm going to get back to Dalton by tomorrow night, so while I did go ahead with my planned Disney flyover (take 2, with MegaScenery installed), I opted not to fly back to Tampa, but to continue northward after.

Took off from Tampa using real weather, which was nice for a change, mostly blue sky with a gentle east to west wind. Flew towards Orlando using the Orlando VOR to find Disney (it's about 15-20 miles southwest of the airport). About 10 miles out I started spotting the landmarks and angled east to fly over Epcot first:



Epcot looks better than before - at least it's not out in a field anymore. This MegaScenery looks great for general landscape at anything above say 3,000 feet, but for specific landmarks where you need to get down low (1,000 feet or so), it's not so hot. At this low altitude, the scenery looks flat and photographic (which it is), and the 3D objects don't line up just right.

The Magic Kingdom is even worse:
I mean, at least it's not two buildings in a forest anymore, but look how far off the 3D space mountain is from the MegaScenery image!

So that was interesting, but a bit disappointing. From Disney I headed north towards Gainsville. Along the way I came to the end of my MegaScenery Florida area:

Kind of weird how it just stops like that all of a sudden. Further north, the graphics got even weirder. I accidentally switched into the 2D cockpit mode and when I switched back out the ground was all white. In exterior view, there were also these odd 2D clouds and diamond shapes in the sky:
I think the white diamond is the sun. Not sure about the black one, maybe another aircraft way up high? I guess you really shouldn't do LSD while operating an airplane...

I managed to fix the problem by temporarily going into windows mode and then going back full screen. That seemed to reset things which was good because I'm not sure I could have found the airport and landed on a featureless landscape. But find the airport I did, Gainsville Regional:

Even made one of my nicer landings with a perfect pattern flight around the airport and a straight down the middle of the runway approach with a nice gentle touchdown. Landing straight into a headwind didn't hurt I'm sure.

From here I think I'm going to bight the bullet and just fly all the way to Atlanta, that's 270 nautical miles or about two hours of flying. Probably do that later tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Blimp half-buried in the ground: Oh the humanity!

    (Abe Simpson shouting from the crowd: "Too soon!")

    Dividing line between Megascenery and regular, and Megascenery Space Mountain and 3-D Space Mountain: It's like you're flying in a dimensional storm and two alternate universes are overlapping. If you see a plane that looks just like yours, do not intercept. It's probably made of antimatter.

    Uh...not that colliding a matter plane with another matter plane is good either.

    ReplyDelete