Saturday, December 26, 2009

Milestones

Made another short flight this afternoon. This time I headed southeast and flew over Carter's Lake. As I was looping back northwest, I found myself at about 3,000 feet amongst mountains that weren't much lower than that. Up ahead, I spotted the mountain just to the south of Fort Mountain with its large TV antenna tower. I decided I need to buzz it!

As you can see, I'm not much higher than the trees on top of the mountain and lower than the top of the tower itself. Just call me Maverick.

Anyway, once past the tower, I banked back to the west to find the Dalton airport and land. I also cut power and started dropping altitude as I flew back over the valley floor and out of the mountains.

On my first landing attempt I turned to final approach too soon and was too high, probably 500 feet up as I crossed the end of the runway. I aborted, powered up and turned around for another pass. The second attempt was perfect, right on the numbers:

By "on the numbers", I mean I landed on the runway number "14" painted at the very end of the runway, rather than flying over that and landing somewhere further down the runway as I've been doing lately.

After logging this flight in, I realized that was my fiftieth successful landing. I also added up my flight time and realized I've flown over 25 hours total. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment