Thursday, August 25, 2011

Darthe Maule

Not much time to fly tonight, but I was double-checking my airplane inventory and noticed a plane that comes with FSX that I had not noticed before. It's a bush plane (designed for "rough" landing conditions, unpaved runways, etc.) called the Maule Orion. It looked interesting, so I gave it a try:
It's a high-wing tail-dragger, with lots of power (164 mph top speed), and lots of windows for good visibility.
Although as with all high-wing aircraft, visibility in the direction of a turn is blocked by the wing, which stinks when you're turning towards the airport on final approach.

I didn't care for this plane much, but maybe I should have studied it a bit more before just jumping in and taking her up for a flight. The controls seemed too sensitive or twitchy, and the landing was pretty dicey. On replay, it looks like I landed on the left front wheel first, then the tail-wheel, and then finally got the right front on the ground before rolling off the runway into the grass. Not pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment