Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mystery Crane

Kids in bed, time to fly some more. Switched back to the Piper Tomahawk planning for a quick evening flight over to Fort Mountain and back. After flying over the mountain though, I turned south and saw a strange object in the distance.

After flying over and circling the thing, I'm still not sure what it is:
It's some kind of crane or something, but just out there in the woods off Highway 76 (between 411, south of Chatsworth, and Ellijay). This area is mostly wilderness, so maybe this is part of some kind of logging operation or something. Hard to say.

It's just north of Carter's Lake, so I finished the flight with a low run over the lake. As before, I felt like my tires were going to get wet, but after reviewing the flight data, I was never less than about 180' over the water. I did discover though that there are actually two lakes, one at about 1000' above sea level, and the other at about 750' or so, with a dam between them. I flew over the dam at about 1200' and then dove down to about 950' or so over the lower section, then climbed back up to about 1700' and turned back to the airport. Total flight time, 32 minutes.

(update: for some reason this picture, unlike my other recent uploads, got shrunk down so you can't click on it to see a larger view. But trust me, there's a weird crane thing down there out my window)

No comments:

Post a Comment